Tuesday, July 21, 2015

The Work of Diamond Baratta


I was saddened by the recent news of designer William Diamond's death. With partner Anthony Baratta, Diamond founded Diamond Baratta, one of America's most dynamic, not to mention colorful, design firms. Known for their unabashed love of vibrant hues and bold pattern, Diamond Baratta produced work that was transformative- and not just in the decorative sense. Brimming with exuberance, a Diamond Baratta interior could also serve as a mood-enhancer, capable of uplifting one's spirits.

In honor of Diamond, I'm featuring a home that the design duo decorated in the early 2000s.  Located in New Jersey, the house contains an intriguing mix of Asian antiques, contemporary art, and English furniture, all of which the clients brought with them.  Armed with their clients' collections, and with the wife's favored pink-and-green palette in mind, Diamond Baratta managed to synthesize these diverse elements under one roof, doing so in their colorful, inimitable way.









All photos from House & Garden, October 2002, Jason Schmidt photographer.

13 comments:

  1. Just gorgeous. Such beautiful pieces and amazing textiles. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE THEIR WORK FULL STOP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. such talented + sorry to hear that.xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. So stunning the color shines in every room. Even the lampshades are unique and the art collection, so enviable! Thanks so much Jennifer , a real treat!

    xoxo
    Karena
    The Arts by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love their work! So sad and shocking. I have been collecting the articles on their work, since the early 80s. Thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wish I knew what the paint was on the second picture's Prussian-bluish wall. It is EXACTLY what I have been searching for...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boocat, I just checked the article and no mention is made of that paint color. Wish that I could help!

      Delete
  7. Designers are artists just like the one who portray characters in movies. There should be an archive to preserve the work they have done. So sad the chapter closes with their eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jennifer,
    I was just on the Baratta site a few weeks ago. This project you highlighted was probably one of the best, did you know they did a large house near me, on Captiva Island? It was published in Florida Design, and has been on the market for a while now.
    Another tour de force of color and pattern!
    Dean

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the pink-and-green color palette and the glossy living room walls!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for posting this, Jennifer. These two have long been my favorite contemporary design duo. I was so sad to learn that they were no longer in business together. I am hoping that the split was due to Bill Diamond's perhaps failing health. And now I am so very sad that he is no longer living. They were a rare duo who combined amazing architectural design talent, along with their interior design.

    For Algedra & all who love their work, they have archived many of their fabulous designs in two big, colorful books. The first more "traditional" and the second more edgy. Both are worth owning.

    Kate Dickerson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate, I don't own either book, but I plan to soon. They sound like must-haves for one's design library. Thank you for the recommendation!

      Delete
  11. Its too much of color in the design, It doesn't seem to be work of a professional

    ReplyDelete